Use cases for a Communications Library
OPC Server or Communication Library: The options at a glance
Option 1: OPC UA - The new Industry Standard
- Is already offered as an interface by many software products
- Usage without programming knowledge
- Industrial standard
- Client/Server principle
Alternative: Older Standard OPC DA
Option 2: Using a Communication Library
- the functional scope of standard interfaces such as OPC is not sufficient
- you would like to integrate specific functionalities into your own software
The comparison: Which option should I choose?
Depending on your situation, either one or the other may be a better fit. Especially if the exchange is to take place between many devices and programs from a wide range of manufacturers that already offer the standard OPC UA interface, the use of an OPC UA server is a good choice. If you are concerned with the use of a large number of options or your requirements cannot be implemented with such an interface, then using a communication library is the better decision. To help you decide, below is a brief overview.
- easy data exchange between different manufacturers
- standardized interface
- industry standard already offered by many software products
- no programming knowledge necessary
- range of functions provided by the standard
- client/server principle
ACCON OPC UA Server
- the probably best performing OPC UA server on the market
- certified by the OPC Foundation
- for communication with S7 and SINUMERIK controllers
- supports Secure Communication
- freely createable programs
- process data completely individualized
- best customization possibilities for every application
- offers functionalities that go beyond the OPC protocol
- programming knowledge necessary
- extensive and proven library
- for different operating systems, communication channels, programming languages
- for S5, S7, SINUMERIK, LOGO!
- supports Secure Communication and symbolic access
- maintenance contract available
Standard interface OPC UA or Communication Library?
With the presented solutions from DELTA LOGIC, you are right in the middle of the digitalization of your plant, regardless of whether you work with Siemens PLCs or use SINUMERIK controllers.
You are also well equipped for the future when working with machine tool controllers with our products. In addition to the SINUMERIK ONE, the 840D sl, 840D pl and 810D pl controllers, they also support work with the Digital Twin of the SINUMERIK ONE - Create MyVirtual Machine.
You are not yet sure which product you should use exactly for your use case? The possibilities offered by Industry 4.0 and IIot mean that the
exchange of data and information between the production-related process
control of your Operational Technology (OT) and data-processing
Information Technology (IT) is becoming increasingly important. Would you like more information about the possibilities that DELTA LOGIC products offer you when it comes to connecting your OT to your IT?
For access to your Siemens controller via OPC UA the ACCON OPC UA Server is the right choice. Besides S7 PLCs, it is also suitable for SINUMERIK machine tool controllers. One of the few servers certified by the OPC Foundation that also supports optimized data blocks.
ACCON AGLink enables the data exchange between PC and Siemens controller. Among other things, it offers functions for data access, diagnostics and time synchronization. Compatible with various operating systems, programming languages and controllers, such as S7, S5, SINUMERIK, LOGO! and Siemens-compatible PLCs.